Wednesday, May 1, 2013

My kids are mirroring my reading choices.

During the school year, my kids check out books from the school library. They choose these books without any input from me. Recently, I asked them what they were reading that wasn't related to their schoolwork. I was so surprised when they brought out their books. They had each chosen a book that I loved!

My 14 year old son was reading Black by Ted Dekker! I love Ted Dekker's books. I can't say I have loved all of his books but most of them are very dear to me. Black is certainly high on my list of favorites. I have probably read it 5 times. As he reads further into the book, I anticipate some good discussions about the themes in the story.

My 12 year old daughter had just started The Song of Albion (Book 1, The Paradise War) by Stephen R. Lawhead. As soon as she showed the book to me, I walked over to my bookcase and pulled out my copy of the book. She decided that she would rather wait until summer and read it with me. It has been a long time since I read it so that sounded good to me.

It thrills this book lover's heart to know that I can share some of my favorite books with my kids.

No comments: