Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Classics Book Club: Around the World in 80 Days

Classics Bookclub

This months classic is Around the World in 80 Daysby Jules Verne. I remember reading an Illustrated Classic Edition of this story when I was young. This was my first time reading the full story.

I really enjoyed this story. The idea of just traveling for almost three months is very appealing. Today, traveling is just a means of getting where we are going. We can go anywhere in the world in a very short amount of time. My husband and I would love to someday take a train trip across the country. I think that would be a great way to see the country.

I found that I enjoyed the character of Passepartout the most. He was the one who had most of the adventures. He saw the sights. He experienced the local cultures and food. He enters a forbidden pagoda in India. He helped rescue Aouda. He helps rescue the train from the Indians and then gets captured by them. He was full of energy and curiosity.

I think this book would be very good for boys to read. I am always on the lookout for something interesting for my 10 year old son. He likes to read but it needs to have some adventure in it or he loses interest. I think that he would like this story.

If you would like to read more discussions of Around the World in 80 Days, check out 5 Minutes for Books.

4 comments:

Carrie said...

Agreed - this is an aweseome adventure story for boys! We'll be discussing the book and will post a podcast of that discussion later on the in the week if you want to add additional thoughts then!

Kipi said...

You're right...great book for boys!

Cindy said...

My son would definitely enjoy this! It is full of adventure and enough suspense to move you along and keep you interested!

Nise' said...

Passepartout was my favorite character too.